|SCHOOL BUS ENDORSEMENT |
Approaching the crossing: Slow down, downshift if appropriate, and test brakes. Activate 4-way hazard lights on approach to the crossing. Activate turn signal. Check all mirrors. Scan the area around you and check traffic behind. Move to the appropriate edge of the roadway. Choose an escape route in the event of a brake failure or problems behind you.
1. When shall a school bus driver use an approved hand-held stop sign while escorting students across a road?
a. While escorting elementary age pupils.
b. When high school age pupils are crossing the roadway.
c. At all times when pupils kindergarten, or any grades 1 to 8 are crossing the roadway.
d. At all times when escorting pupils across a roadway.
2. A school bus while being used for transportation of persons other than pupils to or from school or school related activities must have:
a. School bus signs covered.
b. Flashing red-lights covered.
c. Amber warning lights covered.
d. All of the above.
3. When a pupil is aboard the driver of a school bus shall not leave the driver’s compartment without first:
a. Stopping the engine and effectively setting the parking brakes.
b. Removing the ignition keys, which shall remain in the driver’s possession.
c. Placing the transmission in first, reverse, park or neutral for automatic transmissions that do not have a park position.
d. All of the above
4. It is unlawful for anyone to require a driver to drive a school bus that is not in safe operating condition except for:
a. School bus mechanic.
b. California motor carrier specialist.
c. California Highway Patrol.
d. None of the Above.
5. The driver of a school bus, SPAB bus, or youth bus shall not eject any school pupil unless the pupil is given into the custody of:
a. Transportation supervisor.
b. Peace officer.
c. School official.
d. Parent, or any person designated by the parent or school.
6. Immediately after stopping you should:
a. Open entrance door slightly to activate the stop arms and overhead red warning lights.
b. Tell the children to stand back until you are ready for them to load.
c. Get the children onto the bus as quickly as possible.
7. No motor carrier shall permit or require a driver, regardless of the number of motor carriers using the driver services, to drive nor shall any driver drive for any period after being on duty for:
a. 40-hours in any 6-consecutive days.
b. 60-hours in any 8-consecutive days.
c. 70-hours in any 7-consecutive days.
d. 80-hours in any 8-consecutive days.
8. When can strobe lights legally be used?
a. When the visibility is less than 500-feet.
b. When the visibility is less than 400-feet.
c. When the visibility is less than 300-feet.
d. When the visibility is less than 250-feet.
9. A driver shall be placed out of service for a period of _____ when their BAC level exceeds ____ :
a. 8-hours / .0l
b. 8-hours / .04
c. 24-hours / .0l
d. 24-hours / .04
10. During hours of darkness the driver shall ensure that the interior of the bus is sufficiently lighted:
a. At all times with passengers aboard.
b. When passengers enter and exit the bus.
c. When the driver observes any inappropriate behavior.
d. To accommodate the passengers as long as the light does not interfere with the driver’s vision.
11. If you are convicted of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol you shall lose your school bus certificate for a period of not less than:
12. School bus drivers, within the same month of reaching the age of ____ and each 12-month thereafter, shall undergo a physical examination.
13. Operational policies for school activity trips shall give school bus drivers discretionary authority to discontinue operation because of:
a. Road conditions.
b. Reduced visibility.
c. Student behavior problems.
d. Adverse weather conditions.
14. A 53-passenger school bus is required to carry a first aid kit of what size?
15. A school bus driver is required to have a class B drivers license with a Passenger endorsement and:
a. School Bus Certificate, DL-45.
b. California Special Driver Certificate, DL-45.
c. California Bus Driver License, DL-54.
d. California School Bus License, DL-54.
16. Motor carriers are required to keep a record of all vehicles each driver is capable of safely operating on a highway unsupervised including all special equipment used in Special Education. This is known as the_________:
a. Drivers records.
b. Driving proficiency.
c. Drivers log book.
d. Drivers proficiency records.
17. The DMV may refuse to issue or renew, or may suspend or revoke the school bus certificate for the following reasons except:
a. The term of the medical has expired.
b. Habitually uses drugs or alcohol.
c. Been involved in 3-accidents in the last 12-months.
d. Unsafe operation of a school bus.
18. Tires on school bus shall not be used due to the following conditions:
a. Damaged fabric breaks.
b. Exposed or damaged cords.
c. Bumps, bulges or knots due to internal separation.
d. All of the above.
19. School bus drivers must have a commercial driver's license and:
a. Passenger and combination vehicle endorsements.
b. School bus and passenger endorsements.
c. Air brake and tank endorsements.
20. No pupil shall be allowed to remain in transit to and from school for:
a. More than one hour round trip.
b. More than two hours round trip.
c. More than three hours round trip.
21. Can a school bus transport more pupils than indicated by the manufacturer's rated capacity for the bus?
22. Which statement are true if your involved in a hijacking situation:
a. Do not speak unless spoken to.
b. Observe carefully everything that occurs.
c. The first 15–45 minutes are the most dangerous.
d. All of the above.
23. Each state board of education is charged with the primary responsibility of rules and regulations regarding pupil transportation.
24. A school bus driver doesn't have to wear a seat belt at all times.
25. When approaching an intersection at the same time as another driver, when should you proceed through the intersection:
a. After stopping
b. When it is safe to proceed
c. The driver on the left has the right of way
d. The driver on the right has the right of way
26. Who makes the final decision to determine when weather conditions make the roads unsafe to travel?
a. The school administrator
b. The school teacher
c. The school bus driver
27. What is one of the more dangerous procedures a school bus driver must undertake?
a. Driving in traffic.
b. Loading and unloading.
c. Driving in the rain.
28. A driver of a school bus or other commercial vehicle motor vehicle is required to manually turn off the vehicle upon arriving at a school and when operating with ____ feet of a school is prohibited from idling.
29. When driving downhill, the driver of a school bus should do all of the following except:
a. Select a safe speed and the appropriate gear.
b. Use proper braking techniques to maintain a safe speed.
c. Put the vehicle in neutral to save on fuel
d. Know escape ramp locations on your route.
30. School bus drivers may renew their certificate within ________ months before their expiration date.
31. A defensive driver’s visual lead-time may need to be _________ due to an increase in speed.
c. Remains the same.
d. None of the above.
32. What adjustments does a defensive driver need to make due to adverse weather conditions:
b. Conditioned response.
c. Driving skills.
33. A school bus driver on an extended leave of absence due to illness, or lack of employment as a driver, who fails to maintain the required in-service hours and is required to submit proof of training to the CHP but fails to submit proof constitutes reason for:
a. The DMV allows 30-days to make-up training hours.
b. The DMV allows 45-days to make-up training hours.
c. The DMV to cancel the driver’s certificate.
d. The DMV to revoke the driver’s certificate.
Note: All the test have duplication questions sometimes with different wording. Some tests more than other, because the DMV want to make sure you understand these area of the commercial driving exams.
Note: The DIY Class-A Drivers License Tests assumes no liability for omissions, errors or the outcome of any driving tests. The reader must always exercise reasonable caution, and follow current driving regulations that may apply for each test. All rights reserved. © Copyright 2011-